History of the school !
dates may not be completely accurate.
The town of Fries came into existence in 1902.
During this same year, Grayson County, with substantial help from the Fries
Textile Company, established a grade
school in the town. The original school was a wooden structure built with
its main entrance facing the railroad.
It had two stories containing a total of eight rooms. In 1924, construction
began on a new two-story elementary school to replace the original wooden
building. A Home Economics cottage was added in 1936. During 1947, a
wing was added to the main building which housed the high school for the
town. An industrial arts shop, gymnasium, and cafeteria were added in 1955.
The Town of Fries schools were accredited in 1921. In 1923, the school held
its first graduation exercises under a four
year program of study.
In 1989, the Fries High School
was consolidated with Independence High School to form the new Grayson
County High School in the county seat
of Independence, Virginia. Ninth through twelfth grades from Fries High School were then transferred to the new county high school. Kindergarten
through fifth grades
were moved to Providence Elementary School while sixth through eighth grades
remained in the original school building. With extensive renovations to the former Town
of Fries school complex, the school was renamed Fries Middle School. In 1993, the fifth grade, and in 1999 the fourth grade at Providence Elementary
School was moved to the Fries Middle School. In 2004 the middle school
was closed. After a major renovation, it was re-opened in 2007.
In 2010 a new addition was opened, and children from Providence School were
moved to Fries School.
Presently, Fries School consists of grades Pre-K - 7, with an enrollment of
260 students. There are 21 full-time teachers, 1 librarian/TAG
resource teacher, 1 physical education teacher, 1 music/band teacher, 1
part-time chorus teacher, and 1 part-time speech teacher.